In 2016, the 300 counties gave a margin of victory to either Trump or Hillary Clinton of less than 10 percentage points, and comprise about one-fifth of the total US electorate.The poll did not yet show much impact from the pandemic’s hit on the economy.Sixty-two percent of respondents said their current financial situation was stable, more than the 55% who said their situation was stable in the same poll in April 2019. Only 25% said they were struggling and just 12% said that it was improving.Initial unemployment claims spiked more than 33% in the week ending March 14, three days before the poll began, as the service industry contracted due to increased social-isolation measures and government-ordered shutdowns in some parts of the country. “The coronavirus situation is just starting to hit American family finances,” said Patrick Murray, director of the independent Monmouth University Polling Institute.They included such closely watched areas like Erie County, Pennsylvania, where Trump beat Clinton by 1.6 percentage points, becoming the first Republican to win there since 1984. It also included Muskegon County, Michigan, a Democratic stronghold that Clinton won by just 1,200 votes.Overall, Biden had a negligible lead among voters nationally, with 48% preferring him, 45% backing Trump, 3% backing an independent candidate and 4% undecided. That 3 percentage-point lead was within the margin of error of 3.6 percentage points.Biden has led in head-to-head match-ups against Trump by 2 to 11 points in polls taken since mid-February, shortly before he won the South Carolina primary and took command of the Democratic nominating contest.Murray said that while the national results show a tight race, the Electoral College will ultimately decide the race.“The poll results suggest Biden may actually be starting out with an advantage in crucial swing areas of the country,” he said.The poll of 754 registered voters across the US was conducted by phone March 18-22, just as the impact of the coronavirus was starting to be felt.Topics : Joe Biden has a substantial lead over President Donald Trump in 300 of the crucial so-called swing counties that can determine the November election, a new poll released Tuesday showed.The poll was taken last week as Americans were just beginning to grapple with staying at home and employment and economic worries because of the coronavirus. Trump was holding daily televised briefings on the coronavirus, while Biden was largely out of the limelight.The Monmouth University poll showed that 50% of voters in crucial swing counties backed Biden, while only 41% backed Trump. Biden is the Democratic front-runner to face off against Trump in the November presidential election, having amassed a near-insurmountable lead in delegates over Bernie Sanders.
MILAN (AP):Fiorentina coach Paulo Sousa got his tactics spot on as he steered his side to a 2-1 win over Juventus, which saw the Serie A leader’s advantage slashed to only one point yesterday.Juventus had been seven points clear of second-placed Roma after beating the Giallorossi 1-0 on Dec. 17 and were seemingly on an unstoppable march to a record sixth straight Serie A title.They have played a match less than most other teams due to the Italian Super Cup, which they lost on penalties to AC Milan.Juventus have conceded 16 goals in 19 league matches this campaign. It conceded just 20 in the whole of last season.Fiorentina dominated from the start, with the players winning all their individual battles and imposing themselves physically on their opponents.Juventus were given an early warning when Matias Vecino, who had already seen an effort saved by Gianluigi Buffon, hit the left post in the 10th minute.Buffon also had to make another fine stop to deny Federico Chiesa, before Fiorentina took the deserved lead in the 37th as Nikola Kalinic latched onto Federico Bernardeschi’s through ball and slotted into the far bottom corner from a tight angle.Fiorentina doubled their lead 10 minutes into the second half as a throw-in found Milan Badelj 30 yards out and he launched the ball toward Chiesa who attempted to meet it with an acrobatic effort as it bounced in. It was unclear whether Chiesa got a touch or not but his movement was enough to confuse Buffon.REDUCED GAPThe league’s official website, which had initially awarded the goal to Chiesa, later credited it to Badelj.Juventus reduced the gap three minutes later when Sami Khedira floated in a cross from the left and it came off opponents Stefano Sturaro and Maximiliano Olivera. Gonzalo Higuain was on hand to slot it home.Juventus almost leveled in the 80th but Higuain’s header was stopped by the legs of Fiorentina goalkeeper Ciprian Tatarusanu and Giorgi Chiellini’s attempt from the rebound was blocked before the ball was finally cleared.Paulo Dybala also blazed over the bar from a good position minutes from time.It was only Fiorentina’s second home win over Juventus since 1998.
The mother of all battles might have already taken place in Mohali when India beat Pakistan, but authorities at the Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) and Maharashtra Police are leaving no stones unturned to ensure that the coveted World Cup final between India and Sri Lanka isn’t marred by any security issues. 12,000 security personnel have been assigned to guard against any mishap on Saturday as 33,000 vociferous fans are expected to cheer the Men in Blue in an effort to help them win the biggest prize of One-Day International cricket.Although around 2,000 personnel were assigned to handle security matters at the Wankhede in the group stages, one of the senior officers in Maharashtra Police said that the number had been increased as the law keepers weren’t ready to take any chance.”We don’t expect such a highsecurity environment like the Indo-Pak match on Tuesday, but that doesn’t give us the liberty to take things lightly. We have beefed up security since March 26, with Maharashtra Police joining hands with the Rapid Action Force, Commandos, State Reserve Police Force (SRPF) and Central Industrial Security Force (CISF).”Mumbai has always been a soft target for terrorists and we don’t want to keep anything to chance. Just to make sure that there is no lapse, we have had separate briefing for the senior officers and a different briefing for the sub-ordinates,” he told Mail Today.”While the seniors will take position at the major areas including dressing rooms, ICC lounges, hospitality areas etc, the juniors will be posted at the different gates. Frisking is a must and even the VVIPs won’t be spared. At the end of the day it is for their safety, so they shouldn’t complain. Ifanything, they should come in well in advance to avoid missing the match.”advertisementA junior inspector said that while they were following all the orders being given by the seniors, not getting food was proving to be a hindrance. “While we get all top-class facilities on match days, things get really difficult on other days as food brought in from our homes goes bad by lunch time. But then, anything for the country’s sake. We have been instructed to be at the ground from 8 am in the morning till 8 pm in the evening. After that there is a change in shift,” he said.No Black MarketingAn MCA official told Mail Today that no scope has been left for the touts to have a field day with the final less than 48 hours away.”Firstly, we have kept no option for people to come to the stadium and buy tickets – it’s completely an on-line process – secondly, the tickets will have the name of the ticket holder. So, it won’t be possible for black-marketers to buy online tickets and sell them outside.”The SRPF personnel present at the entry gates will check identity proofs before letting ticket-holders enter the ground. Under no circumstance will there be any exception to that rule. We hope for a fair final with only those with legitimate tickets getting entry,” he said.
Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss READ: As Almazan goes missing, six PBA teams interestedAlmazan is just what the doctor ordered for Meralco, which has long sought for a big man.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsThe 6-foot-8 Almazan is expected to make his debut for the Bolts in the coming Commissioner’s Cup where he will be teaming up with import Gani Lawal down low. Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting History made as women to referee men’s AFC Cup clash Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew MOST READ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated LATEST STORIES Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess PBA big man Raymond Almazan. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netMANILA, Philippines–Meralco has acquired the services of star center Raymond Almazan from Rain or Shine on Tuesday, team manager Paolo Trillo said.The PBA approved the trade that sent the Bolts’ rights to the 2019 and 2021 first round picks to the Elasto Painters in exchange for Almazan.ADVERTISEMENT Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess View comments
Touch Football Tasmania has introduced a new tournament to its state program in 2011, with the Club Championships to be held on Saturday, 19 November at Prospect Park, Launceston. The Club Championships is a new initiative designed to increase participation and create an opportunity for both a high standard of competition, as well as social participation. The event will see teams compete across three divisions – Men’s division one, Women’s Open and Men’s division two. Sunday will see the 2011 Junior State Cup take place again at Prospect Park, with six divisions competing in the event. Teams at the Junior State Cup will be eager to take to the fields on Sunday, following last year’s event being cancelled due to bad weather. The under 18’s Girls division has been added to the line-up and will join the 12’s Girls, 16’s Girls, 12’s Boys, 14’s Boys and 16’s Boys at the event. There will also be a focus on referee and coaching development across the tournament, with Touch Football Australia National Referee Panel member Ian Matthew in attendance at the event. To keep up-to-date with all of the latest news and information from the 2011 Club Championships and Junior State Championships, please visit the following website:www.tastouch.com.au
Man Utd keeper De Gea: Away support crucial at West Hamby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United goalkeeper David de Gea says their support will be key at West Ham.United fans will be out in force at the London Stadium and, now in his ninth season at the club, De Gea knows exactly how significant our travelling supporters are for the team.“They are vitally important to us,” said the goalkeeper.“Our fans that follow us away from home are just incredible. Sometimes it’s just like we are playing at home in those away fixtures! “It’s amazing… it helps us all tremendously down there on the pitch, we can always feel the warmth from our fans and that is hugely important to us.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
West Ham boss Manuel Pellegrini: We must stay where we areby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveWest Ham boss Manuel Pellegrini has told his players they must hold their Europa League qualifying place.The Hammers sit fifth in the Premier League after six games, having lost just once this season on the opening day, and travel to Bournemouth on Saturday.Pellegrini said: “At this moment we’re in fifth position.”We must try to defend that position, it’s a European spot. We are just starting, it is six games.”Sometimes you must try to reach that position, in this moment we are [in it], so we must try to keep it. The best way of doing that is winning.”[Bournemouth] play offensive football. They have dangerous strikers. We must be very concentrated on defending but we are going for three points. We’ll attack from the first minute and look for three points more.”Against Manchester United we played a very good game. We had good concentration. If we can repeat that performance, we’ll win a lot of games.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
MONTREAL – Bell is launching a new discount pre-paid wireless brand, Lucky Mobile.The service will initially be available in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia starting Dec. 4.Lucky Mobile will offer service in 17 zones covering most major cities including Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and surrounding areas as well as province-wide and Canada-wide options.Plans will include voice calling and texting as well as other services, while mobile data options will also be available at 3G-equivalent access speeds.The company says Lucky Mobile will also introduce an app that enables talk and text over Wi-Fi next year.Bell is owned by BCE Inc. (TSX:BCE).
LONDON, Ont. – Canada’s red-hot economy is indeed likely to slow down this year, making federal investments in boosting economic growth and job creation all the more important, Finance Minister Bill Morneau said Friday.As the federal Liberal cabinet prepared for a second day of meetings at its retreat in London, Ont., Morneau stopped to sing the praises of his government’s economic agenda, which he credits for the economy’s super-charged performance over the last year.“The economy has performed exceptionally well in 2017,” he said. “The kinds of things we’ve done to help Canadian families has a had a real difference on our economy.”Among other things, unemployment fell to 5.7 per cent in December, the lowest figure since comparable data became available in January 1976.In his fall fiscal update in October, the minister predicted the economy would grow 3.1 per cent for 2017 as a whole.That strong growth rate won’t be matched this year, however, Morneau conceded.In its own latest forecast, Scotiabank is predicting growth of just 2.3 per cent this year, while TD Bank’s most recent prediction says Canada’s on pace for 2018 growth of around 2.4 per cent. Both also agree the rate will slow down even further in 2019.Morneau said the government recognizes the importance of being fiscally responsible and remains committed to reducing annual deficits over the long term.In his fall update, Morneau projected a deficit of $19.9 billion in the 2017-18 fiscal year — almost $9 billion less than predicted in his budget last spring.He also projected that the deficit would drop over the next five years, to $12.5 billion in 2022-23.This year’s deficit projection includes $1.5 billion for “risk adjustment” — a figure that might be increased going forward to account for additional risks to the economy, such as the potential demise of the North American Free Trade Agreement.“We’re continuing to work on our budget 2018 and one of the things we will consider is the appropriate consideration of risk, as we’ve done in previous times,” Morneau said Friday.However, he acknowledged economic growth will be “more modest” this year.“We’re always facing challenges. We face long-term demographic challenges, we face global risks that might impact global growth. So we need to be focused on how we can continue to encourage growth in our economy.”